Top 7 Plugins for making Custom Post Type
When it comes to a website, content is an integral part. WordPress provides various built-in types of content. If you want a simple blog or a website then these content types are ideal for you but if you want to create a customized look for your website then you might have to dig in a WordPress a little bit. This is where you need to use the power of this Top 7 Plugins for making Custom Post Type to build a more complex website. You get the flexibility to create any kind of content with custom types. By the end of this article, you’ll get to know the benefits of custom post type and how can you create them. And you can choose the one that is best for you.
Custom Post Type –
The custom content that WordPress allows you to add in your website is known as “Custom Post Types.” WordPress displays and stores content as posts and they are categorized based on post type. You can use the custom post types for adding different types of content like a testimonial, team member, review, recipe, etc.
Custom post types provide an interesting opportunity to make your site unique and different from other sites. Custom post types let you design your website in a way that your visitors will enjoy an improved readability of the content and unique representation which might intrigue the readers to go through all the pages. If you want to turn your website into a fully-fledged content management system then you should take a look at the custom post types that I’ve listed below.
Custom Post Type UI
It is one of the most popular plugins developed for custom posts and taxonomies in the official plugin directory. This plugin brings a lot of great options and features for free. This is a user-friendly plugin so yes, it is very easy to use. All you’ve to do is install it and after installing it you’ll get a nice dashboard where you can work. And in the dashboard, you’ll find access to all of the plugin’s options and features that are easily available.
You can create new post types using this plugin along with new corresponding taxonomies, and after this, you can also edit the post. The plugin lets you create new post types, new corresponding taxonomies, and then edit the post types you already have on your site.
One great thing about Custom Post Type UI plugin is that you can import a custom post that you already have on another site. Plus, exporting yours is an option too. The only downside of the plugin is that it will NOT handle display of registered post types or taxonomies in your current theme. It will only register them for you.
Key things to consider while using Custom Post Type UI:
- Lets you create and configure your custom post types and custom taxonomies.
- Lets you attach built-in and custom taxonomies to post types.
- Comes with advanced labeling for post types.
- Does not handle the display of your new post types and taxonomies. This, you have to do yourself.
Toolset Types, also known as Type is another extremely popular free plugin for WordPress. This free plugin allows you to create custom post types, taxonomies, and fields. And there are more than two hundred thousand active installs of this plugin.
This plugin holds an upper hand when it comes to custom types plugin as it is developer friendly and also has a user-friendly interface. And if you’re into coding then there’s PHP API available for your convenience. And you’re not a DEV then you can you use the simple GUI.
This plugin is efficient enough to handle custom fields. You can also add users by using this plugin. Including this, you can also design the appearance of a different field that appears in the WordPress admin.
Key things to consider while using Types:
- You can configure and create your custom post types as well as your custom taxonomies.
- Types provide you with fields for content and users.
- It is multilingual ready.
- You can access control for fields.
Custom Post Type Maker
This plugin is the simplest plugin in this list and is very effective. Custom Post Type Maker does have a bit of a flaw and that is it doesn’t have extensive options like the other plugin mentioned on this list but it still does a marvelous job as a Custom Post Type Plugin. If you like a simple plugin for creating custom post types when you’re using WordPress then this plugin is the perfect one for you and you can actually rely on this plugin.
Once this plugin is installed and activated, it will create a new menu item titled called ‘Post Types’. Other than the regular options, there are several other options available in this plugin, for example, you can hide the post type from the menu as well as from the search results. You also get an option to choose the editing options for the post type and you can also create custom taxonomies using this plugin. It has an impressive documentation that might be unsuitable for beginners.
Key things to consider while using Custom Post Type Maker:
- You can create and configure your very own custom post types and custom taxonomies.
- It comes with a user-friendly interface.
- You can get access to all registered taxonomies and custom post types.
- You have to do a few things on your own like handling the display of your new post types.
Pods stand out due to its intuitive and original user interface and the whole process you will go through while using the plugin. You can expect more of a wizard-like process rather than the dashboard-like environment. This user-friendly plugin is used to create custom post types, taxonomies, and fields.
Pods literally use “pods” that helps to organize all the custom post types and taxonomies that you create with the plugin. You can create custom settings pages with the help of this plugin, you can also create advanced content types which means if you don’t use the default WordPress tables in the database then you can create your own advanced content types. Irrespective of its complexity, you can create any type of content with ease. You also get an additional functionality to extend the existing content types, users, taxonomies, media and also comments.
Key things to consider while using Pods:
- You can create and configure your custom post types and custom taxonomies.
- Pods let you create advanced content types and custom settings pages.
- With Pods can extend the existing content types.
- You can create your own field types or use various field types.
- User-friendly and modern interface. It comes with a modern interface which is extremely user-friendly.
- You can integrate Pods with other plugins such as Polylang, Codepress Admin Columns, Tabify Edit Screen, Gravity Forms, etc.
Custom Press provides the utter flexibility that you need when you’re trying to manage your custom post types. You get the option to add any post that you desire and guess what, there is more. You can also many custom fields like add drop-down menus, radio buttons, and checkbox. The best thing about Custom Press is that you can have its own design.
This is also intuitive and has a modern interface and in just a few minutes you can set up your new custom post types.
Key things to consider while using custom press:
- You can create and configure your custom post types and custom taxonomies.
- You can also create your own custom fields – because of this, you can have different fields for each custom post type.
- It doesn’t just have an intuitive interface but also a very flexible one.
- You can also include taxonomies automatically in the posts.
- You can fit any theme you want to as this plugin automatically generates theme files and shortcode libraries.
So, folks what are you waiting for? Take full advantage of WordPress custom post type.
Plugins like custom post types have made WordPress more powerful than ever. And if you use custom post types on your WordPress site? Do you use any other custom post type plugin? If yes, let me know in the comments.